Sunday, July 4, 2010

What Happened???

This is Kim...

First of all, let me say that Caleb has been such a trooper through all of this ordeal. He was extremely patient and helpful in the airport as I was trying to make decisions about what was best to do. If you are familiar with the Atlanta airport, you know how stressful it can be on a good day. I had to keep going from our gate at A6 to the Delta help counter at A18. Then they would have me go to a Delta "phone" to talk with an agent. Meanwhile, our flight is being called and passengers are loading. I had left Caleb at A6 with all of our carry ons. He is on the cell phone keeping me posted about boarding while I am on the Delta phone with the agent informing me that I had a make a decision before take-off about how to change our tickets. A nice gentleman standing next to me is apparently listening to our delima because he slips me a note about a company in Miami who has helped him several times with expedited passports. With phones on both ears, taking notes, receiving notes, I was quite a sight to behold!!

As they say, meanwhile back at Gate A6.....our group leader for the trip had provided us with photos and bios of our team members. Caleb looks up and there is this lady walking around looking at this paper and looking around at all of the passengers waiting to board. She locates him and introduces herself so by the time I get back he has "bonded" with four members of the group explaining what has happened.

Having never flown internationally, I didn't know there was a difference in a passport card and passport book. We had used our passport CARD for a cruise last summer and sure enough on the back of the card it states for land and sea travel only. Sadly, if someone in Mobile had caught this we could have saved ourselves alot of time and money. But mistakes happen and we will regroup!

As Caleb mentioned we finally found an awesome Delta agent (in person) who helped us book a flight back to Mobile at 9:05 PM. Once again, we are running through the airport because by this point we have been sent to the FRONT of the airport and our flight is boarding at Gate C39 and we have 15 minutes to make it back through security to Concourse C!! We round the corner at 9:00 only to find that it has been delayed 45 minutes and the computer system is down. The night just kept getting better!!!

We have family in Atlanta so in between all of this I am texting them in case we can't get a flight out. Mona and Renee, you guys will never know how much you helped!! Just knowing we had a back-up plan, I finally breathed a sigh of relief. Oh, how I love my family!!

We finally made it make to Mobile with all but two pieces of luggage. My wonderful husband was waiting at the airport to pick up two tired and delirious travelers. In all that has happened I didn't realize that Caleb had not eaten supper and was STARVING! After a quick trip to McDonald's, we headed back to Grove Hill and entertained each other all the way home with our adventures of the day.

The good news is that there is another trip planned for July 10th-17th and our plans are to join that group. We ARE going to make it because God has great things in store!!!

3 comments:

  1. I know that was discouraging, but none of this is a surprise to God. Before the foundation of the world, He numbered and filled our days. The whole time you were running around like a chicken with your head cut off, God was sitting back sipping on a Capri Sun and saying, "I got this."
    Keep us posted! Praying for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim & Caleb, it's so great to see you and those happy children. Know you have been a blessing to them, and they to you. Can't wait to see you in person! Love and prayers for safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caleb looks like a natural holding all of those sweet babies. Could we see another teacher in the future? You two stay safe and keep up the good work there. Love the blog and keeping up with the Adventures of Kim and Caleb!

    ReplyDelete